Từ điển Oxford Learners Wordfinder Dictionary|
asking for permission to do sth ALLOW
see also QUESTION, ORDER
※ asking for sth
- to ask sb if they will give you sth: ask (sb) for sth, (formal) request sth (from sb); noun: request (for sth)
We went into the cafÃ© and asked for some coffee. ◎ I've decided to ask my bank manager for a loan. ◎ They've put in a request for more time to finish the project.
- to speak to sb in order to ask for sth: (formal) approach sb (for/about sth)
Have you approached your boss about the new job yet?
- to make a formal request in writing, for example for a job: apply (to sb) (for sth); noun (C/U): application
I've applied for several jobs, but I still haven't had any luck. ◎ We've received hundreds of applications. ◎ an application form
- a person who applies for sth: applicant
a job applicant
- to make a formal request for sth that you think you should get: claim sth; noun: claim
We found this watch in the cloakroom, but no one's claimed it yet. ◎ an insurance claim
- to make a strong request for sth, as if you are giving an order: demand sth; noun: demand
The men are demanding higher pay. ◎ I think it's a reasonable demand.
- to make a strong and serious request for sth: appeal (to sb) (for sth), beg (sb) for sth; noun: appeal
The Red Cross are appealing to the public for contributions. ◎ to beg for forgiveness ◎ an urgent appeal for help
※ asking sb to do sth
- to ask sb if they will do sth for you: ask sb (to do sth), (formal) request sb (to do sth); noun: request
I asked him to help me with my homework. ◎ I asked him if he could give me a hand. ◎ Customers are requested not to smoke.
- to ask sb strongly to do sth: beg sb (to do sth), urge sb (to do sth), (formal) call on/upon sb (to do sth)
His mother begged them not to take him away. ◎ I urge you to think again. ◎ Greenpeace are calling on governments to stop dumping chemical waste in the North Sea.
- if you do sth because sb has asked you to, you do it at sb's request, at the request of sb
The letter was sent at my request.
※ saying yes or no to a request
- to say yes to a request: agree (to sth), agree (to do sth), (formal) consent (to sth); nouns (U): agreement, consent
Andy has agreed to lend us his car. ◎ Her parents refused to consent to the marriage. ◎ They can't get married without their parents' consent.
- to say no to a request: refuse (sth), not agree (to sth), not agree (to do sth)
We begged them to lend us the money but they refused. ◎ He won't agree to let us out early.
※ words for agreeing to a request YES/NO
※ some ways of making requests
- the word for making a request more polite: please
- to make a request, you can say Will you ※¦? or Would you (kindly) ※¦? or Can you ※¦? or Could you (possibly) ※¦?
Please will you do me a favour? ◎ Would you very kindly bring me that chair? ◎ Can you get me a drink, please? ◎ Could you possibly go and buy some milk from the shop?
- to make a very polite request, you can say Do you mind ※¦? or Would you mind ※¦? or I'm sorry to bother/trouble you, but ※¦
Do you mind waiting a few minutes? ◎ Would you mind coming back tomorrow? ◎ I'm sorry to trouble you, but would you mind answering a few questions?
▼ Từ liên quan / Related words
Related search result for "request"